The Agricultural Research Associate will focus on agriculture research from Desk Research to participatory farmer field trials. This position will involve trial prioritization and design, trial management, analysis and interpretation of results, and recommendations for core program change and improvement. The Agricultural Research Associate will be on the Zambia Innovation Team.
The Innovation Team is the driving force behind improving One Acre Fund’s programs, products, and services to farmers. The position will be based in Kabwe, Central Province Zambia.
- Desk research: Conduct outsight research and liaise with other agriculture institutions in Zambia and elsewhere to inform trial questions. Many questions need more in depth research to improve trial planning and success. Some example topics include:
- Reducing the cost of growing maize for OAFZ farmer
- Moving forward with trials and scale up of reduction of weeds pressure
- Developing a strategy to build soil fertility and structure for OAFZ farmers
- Best practices for designing crop storage trials
Lead farmers’ preference tests for maize and other crops
- Develop surveys, focus groups, semi-structured interview protocols and other farmer engagement strategies, and analyse data to discover and evaluate new trial ideas for improving impact along our 3 major impact categories: Farmer profit, Healthy soil, and Healthy families.
- Designing and supporting execution of Research station trials
- Play a leading role in trial prioritization and design for all phase 1 trials.
- Prioritize trials effectively based on research and station results
- Create impact models for each product or idea to be tested throughout trials
- Create crop management protocols and calendars for trials
- Support the research station team in executing trials and solving problems
Gather feedback from research station teams to inform further trial ideas
- Develop and deliver trainings to research station teams
- Designing and supporting execution of participatory farmer field trialsPrioritize trials effectively, particularly through use of desk research and research station trials results
- Create planting protocols and calendars for trials
- Support the Impact field team in executing trials and solving problems
- Develop and deliver trainings to Impact field team
Data audit and analysis
- Analysis and reportingFollowing completion of trials, the Agriculture Research Manager will:
- Carry out statistical analyses and interpret results
Draft trial reports
- Make recommendations for next steps e.g. repeat trial, add treatments, scaling-up.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2-5+ years of experience and a demonstrated passion for and knowledge of agricultural sciences and development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply: