He was one of three Dutch troops injured in the early-morning Saturday shooting who were all in the US for training exercises.
The two more victims are aware and continue to be in stable condition at the hospital, according to the Dutch Defense Ministry.
Police provided little information but said they suspect the shooting happened after an earlier disturbance in downtown Indianapolis.
The city’s law enforcement agencies are still looking into the shooting and as of this writing, no arrests have been made. According to a previous police statement, detectives didn’t think it was a “random act.”
The three soldiers were sleeping at the Hampton Inn Hotel in the city’s entertainment zone, where the incident reportedly occurred at 03:30 (07:30 GMT) on Saturday.
Police suspect that an earlier altercation involving one or more additional people at a different city site preceded the shooting.
The troops were off-duty at the time of the incident, and their families had been informed, according to Dutch defense sources.
The Commando Corps, one of the Netherlands military’s special operations divisions, was where all three of the troops served.
The Indiana National Guard told the AP news agency that soldiers had been receiving instruction at the Muscatatuck Urban Training Center before traveling to Indiana’s state capital at the conclusion of their duty day.
The military training facility in Indiana is utilized by both the US Department of Defense and the armed forces of the US’s international partners.