Mzansi has finally seen a glimpse of former president Jacob Zuma inside Estcourt Correctional Centre. This comes after pictures of Zuma being taken through the admission process at the prison were leaked on social media
On Thursday, 8 July, the Department of Correctional Services said it has opened a criminal case after a memory card containing photos of the former president being admitted at the centre were stolen.
Spokesman Chrispin Phiri said they were appalled by the distribution of Zuma photos on social media.
“It has come to the attention of the Department of Correctional Services that images were stolen from a camera of the official who had been assigned to take photos for institutional filing purposes. The SD card was removed from the camera and the matter is highly sensitive and is being investigated by both SAPS and the department. The official involved has also been contemplated with a suspension notice,” Phiri said in a statement.
He said the internal investigation has revealed that the memory card may have been shared with a popular broadcaster.
“The department will be approaching the relevant institutions for further action. Department of Correctional Services condemns in strongest possible terms such action and will leave no stone unturned in bringing to book those behind it,” said Phiri.
He further pleaded with people to refrain from sharing the pictures on social media.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Justice and Correctional services Ronald Lamola said his department was not allowed to take pictures of inmates.
This comes after a reporter had asked for proof whether Zuma was inside Estcourt Correctional Centre.
In Other News: FORMER PRESIDENT ZUMA GOES TO JAIL – VIDEO
FORMER president Jacob Zuma began life in jail after he decided to hand himself over to prison authorities just minutes before the police deadline to arrest him lapsed.