• Latest
  • Trending
Gaza

Fighting, fuel shortages knock out Gaza’s second-largest hospital

19/02/2024
Edgar Lungu Burial

Edgar Lungu Burial Saga Deepens as Mortuary Refuses to Take Back His Body

24/04/2026
Edgar Lungu burial

Edgar Lungu Still Not Buried as Legal Battle Takes New Twist

24/04/2026
Queen Nadia

Queen Nadia TV: From Viral Fame to Controversy – The Story Still Trending Across Africa

30/03/2026
Shawki Fawaz

Shawki Fawaz Arrested in K100 Million Tax Scandal – What We Know So Far

30/03/2026
court - Man Demands Sex from Ex Wife

“He Still Wants Sex in Lodges” – Woman Tells Court After Divorce Shocking Details

30/03/2026
China Zambia Medical Cooperation

Crossing mountains and oceans, China and Zambia join hands for health

30/03/2026
Queen Nadia TV

Queen Nadia TV: Viral Clips, Millions of Views — and Why Facebook Refused to Ban Her Page

02/02/2026
Premier League

EPL Matchweek 24: Arsenal Pull Clear as Šeško Stuns Old Trafford in Dramatic Premier League Weekend

02/02/2026
Online Casinos in South Africa - Gambling

Kiwis Deserve Safe Gambling That Gives Back

14/08/2025
Casino

Why More African Players Are Turning to Live Casinos

12/08/2025
Betting

The Voucher Economy: How Prepaid Access Is Powering Zambia’s Betting Boom

14/07/2025
Mwaka Halwindi Sextapes

From “Boss Lady” to Scandal: Mwaka Halwindi sextapes rocks Zambia

08/07/2025
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
ZambiaNews365.com
  • Home
  • Zambia News
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • World
  • Scandals
  • Sports
  • More
    • Food & Drink
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
    • Fitness & Training
No Result
View All Result
ZambiaNews365.com
No Result
View All Result
Home Zambia News

Fighting, fuel shortages knock out Gaza’s second-largest hospital

by Dennis Milanzi
19/02/2024
in Zambia News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Gaza
491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Fighting, fuel shortages and Israeli raids put the Gaza Strip’s second-largest hospital completely out of service on Sunday, local and U.N. health officials said, as Israel battled Hamas militants in the devastated Palestinian enclave.

The Nasser Hospital in the southern city of Khan Younis still sheltered scores of patients suffering from war wounds and Gaza’s worsening health crisis, but there was no power and not enough staff to treat them all, health officials said. It’s gone completely out of service,” Gaza health ministry spokesperson Ashraf al-Qidra told Reuters. There are only four medical teams – 25 staff – currently caring for patients inside the facility,” he said.

Qidra said water supply to the hospital had halted because generators had been out of action for three days, sewage was flooding emergency rooms and the remaining staff had no way of treating intensive care patients. Lack of oxygen supplies – also a result of having no power – had caused the deaths of at least seven patients, he said.

Gaza’s hospitals have been a focal point of the four-month-old war between Israel and Palestinian militant group Hamas, which controls the besieged territory. Most have been put out of action by fighting and lack of fuel, leaving a population of 2.3 million without proper healthcare.

Israel has raided medical facilities alleging that Hamas keeps weapons and hostages in hospitals. Hamas operates across densely-populated Gaza but denies it uses hospitals for cover.

The international community says hospitals, which are protected under international law, must be protected.

The World Health Organization (WHO) urged Israel to grant its staff access to the hospital, where it said a week-long siege and raids by Israeli forces searching for Hamas militants had stopped them from helping patients.

“Both yesterday and the day before, the @WHO team was not permitted to enter the hospital to assess the conditions of the patients and critical medical needs, despite reaching the hospital compound to deliver fuel,” WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on social media platform X.

The Israeli military said its special forces were operating in and around Nasser Hospital, and had killed dozens of Palestinian militants and seized a large amount of weapons in fighting across Gaza over the past day.

The military said this week it was hunting for militants in Nasser and had arrested at least 100 suspects on the premises, killed gunmen near the hospital and found weapons inside it.

Israel’s air and ground offensive has devastated much of Gaza and forced nearly all of its inhabitants from their homes. Palestinian health authorities say 28,985 people, mostly civilians, have been killed.

The war began when Hamas sent fighters into Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and seizing 253 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel’s assault on Gaza began in the north and has moved south as Palestinians have fled, many crammed into tents around southern cities including Khan Younis and Rafah, the Gaza-Egypt border town which is the only crossing not controlled by Israel.

More than half Gaza’s population has been pushed into Rafah and Israeli plans to storm the city have prompted international concern.

Israeli planes carried out attacks on two areas in Rafah on Sunday, including an empty building near the border with Egypt, local residents and Hamas media officials said.

The second of the two strikes hit an open space where displaced people were sheltering, killing six people, local medics said.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, embattled at home over the government’s failure to stop the Oct. 7 attack and under pressure to get the remaining hostages released, on Saturday pledged to push on with the military campaign.

The Gaza war has destabilised the entire Middle East as Hamas’s military allies – all Iran-backed paramilitary groups – have targeted Israeli and U.S. interests with missiles and drones.

Israel has also bombed southern Lebanon in a battle with Tehran-backed Hezbollah militants, and the Yemeni Houthi rebels have choked global trade passing through the Suez Canal and Red Sea.

Source: SABC

In other news – Anele Mdoda’s worst nightmare comes true

Anele Mdoda wallows in an unwanted feeling as her worst nightmare finally comes true. The South African radio personality is outspoken about her life and her son on social media, most especially on Twitter.

Anele Mdoda

Alakhe is perceived to be a successful child due to the exposure he experienced at a young age, thanks to his mother. Read more

Tags: GazaIsraeliU.N. health officials
Share196Tweet123
Dennis Milanzi

Dennis Milanzi

Related Posts

Edgar Lungu Burial

Edgar Lungu Burial Saga Deepens as Mortuary Refuses to Take Back His Body

by Dennis Milanzi
24/04/2026

The already complicated burial dispute of former President Edgar Lungu has taken yet another dramatic turn — and this time,...

Shawki Fawaz

Shawki Fawaz Arrested in K100 Million Tax Scandal – What We Know So Far

by Dennis Milanzi
30/03/2026

A major financial scandal is making headlines in Zambia after authorities arrested a prominent businessman over alleged tax offences exceeding...

court - Man Demands Sex from Ex Wife

“He Still Wants Sex in Lodges” – Woman Tells Court After Divorce Shocking Details

by Dennis Milanzi
30/03/2026

Man Demands Sex from Ex Wife - A courtroom stunned many people after a woman revealed something unexpected. She told...

Hakainde Hichilema to Edgar Lungu

President Hakainde Hichilema Mourns the Passing of Edgar Lungu

by Dennis Milanzi
05/06/2025

Lusaka, Zambia – In a solemn announcement to the nation, President Hakainde Hichilema has confirmed the death of Zambia’s sixth...

  • Trending
  • Latest
Najmul Hossain

Najmul Hossain ton guides Bangladesh to 235-2 against Afghanistan

14/06/2023
Pearl Modiadie jet set with her new boyfriend to the islands

Pearl Modiadie jet set with her new boyfriend to the islands

14/06/2023
Virgil van Dijk

Netherlands’ defender Virgil van Dijk wants his country to lift the Nations League trophy this year

14/06/2023
Thobile and Musa Mseleku

VIDEO: Thobile Khumalo heavily spoils her hubby, Musa Mseleku on his birthday

14/06/2023
Forza Motorsport

Forza Motorsport’s career mode could be groundbreaking

14/06/2023
Edgar Lungu Burial

Edgar Lungu Burial Saga Deepens as Mortuary Refuses to Take Back His Body

24/04/2026
Edgar Lungu burial

Edgar Lungu Still Not Buried as Legal Battle Takes New Twist

24/04/2026
Queen Nadia

Queen Nadia TV: From Viral Fame to Controversy – The Story Still Trending Across Africa

30/03/2026
Shawki Fawaz

Shawki Fawaz Arrested in K100 Million Tax Scandal – What We Know So Far

30/03/2026
court - Man Demands Sex from Ex Wife

“He Still Wants Sex in Lodges” – Woman Tells Court After Divorce Shocking Details

30/03/2026
ZambiaNews365.com

Email: editor@news365.co.za

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • Zambia News
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • World
  • Scandals
  • Sports
  • More

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Zambia News
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • World
  • Scandals
  • Sports
  • More
    • Food & Drink
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
    • Fitness & Training

Email: editor@news365.co.za