Connect with us

English Premier League

Everton 1 – 2 Luton Town



Everton 1 - 2 Luton Town

Everton 1 – 2 Luton Town. Luton Town claimed a historic first Premier League victory by shocking forlorn Everton at Goodison Park.

Luton were promoted via the Championship play-offs last season and had collected a single point from their opening five top-flight games but resisted an Everton fightback to take home all three points.

The hosts were the better side early on, and winger Dwight McNeil fired a volley narrowly wide before each of James Garner, Idrissa Gueye and Amadou Onana failed to hit the target from promising positions.

Luton held out before taking a shock lead in fortuitous circumstances when Carlton Morris’ header rattled the crossbar and, as Ashley Young looked to clear, the ball cannoned off captain Tom Lockyer and into the net.

The Hatters were in dreamland when they doubled their lead as Morris kept his composure to side-foot in a volley from Alfie Doughty’s free-kick having been left unmarked at the back post.

In an action-packed first half, Garner headed against the crossbar and the Toffees did manage to pull a goal back through Dominic Calvert-Lewin from close range, which was awarded after a long check for offside by VAR.

The Englishman struck a volley wide in the second period and substitute Beto twice headed over, while at the other end Morris had an effort ruled out for offside as the visitors held on for a famous win.

Everton had prospective new owners 777 Partners watching on from the stands, as the Miami-based investment firm looks to complete a deal to take over the club from current owner Farhad Moshiri.

But co-founders Josh Wander and Steven Pasko, as well as manager Sean Dyche and his players, will have left Goodison Park wondering how they have lost a game they largely dominated.

Before this game, Luton had only taken one point from six matches and had become many observers’ favourites to make an immediate return to the Championship.

But here they showed signs that they may be far more than also-rans this term.

There were joyous scenes at full-time as the Luton players and staff went over to the travelling supporters in their corner of the stadium, where they were serenaded by chants lauding manager Rob Edwards and their prospects of remaining in the division.

It was a familiar tale at home for Everton, who missed numerous excellent opportunities before being hit with a sucker punch.

Skipper Lockyer had earlier headed over before bundling in the opening goal and Morris’ sweet volley doubled their advantage.

The Toffees had been high in confidence before the game, having won back-to-back games away at Brentford and Aston Villa, but this was an embarrassing result as they lost their fourth consecutive home game and were booed off by their fans.

Dyche threw on summer signings Beto and Jack Harrison in the second half to try and salvage a result, but they could not add to Calvert-Lewin’s goal.

source – BBC

English Premier League

Wolves 1-1 Nottingham Forest




Wolves 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Wolves 1-1 Nottingham Forest. Nottingham Forest manager Steve Cooper remains under pressure despite his side battling out a draw away at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Harry Toffolo put Forest ahead with his first goal for the club, only for the hosts to peg them back via Matheus Cunha’s low strike.

It means that Forest have only won one of their past 12 games and are four points above the relegation zone.

Wolves, meanwhile, rise to 12th in the Premier League.

Toffolo put Forest ahead at Molineux after 12 minutes. The left wing-back rose to head home Neco Williams’ deep cross, beating the covering Wolves defenders.

But the hosts upped their game and equalised following a slick passing move, culminating in Pablo Sarabia cutting back for Cunha, with the Brazilian applying the finish.

Cheikhou Kouyate should have put Forest ahead shortly before half-time but was denied, one-on-one by Jose Sa, who returned in goal for Wolves after missing Tuesday’s win over Burnley with a back spasm.

Anthony Elanga smacked the bar from eight yards out early in the second half and Toffolo missed a golden chance with another header as Forest dominated while seeking a much-needed winner.

Despite a spirited display from his side, Cooper’s position remains under threat and the Forest manager was visibly emotional as he thanked the away fans after full-time, waving and thumping his chest.

Cooper appears to be on borrowed time as Forest manager despite Saturday’s result, which came on the back of a 5-0 defeat by Fulham on Wednesday.

If the man who guided his side back to the Premier League in 2022 is to leave the club, he will not go without trying everything first.

Cooper made seven changes to the starting XI from the side thumped at Craven Cottage, including a change of goalkeeper with Matt Turner returning and, crucially, a change of formation to a 3-5-2 after playing a back four against Fulham.

That change of shape was crucial in putting Forest ahead, as the wing-backs combined for the opener – Williams’ cross from the right met by Toffolo steaming in from the left.

It delighted the noisy and sizable travelling support, who sang Cooper’s name from the opening seconds to after the final whistle.

But despite all those changes, Forest remain porous at the back and were cut apart when Wolves got their passing moves going. They have now conceded 12 goals in their past four away league matches – and were grateful to Turner who made a good low save from Cunha in the second half.

While several of Wolves’ games this season have been defined more by VAR than action on the field, Gary O’Neil’s side are capable of playing some very good football.

Central to that is Cunha, who has become the fourth Brazilian to score or assist in five consecutive Premier League games, after Arsenal players Gabriel Jesus and Gabriel Martinelli and former Manchester City midfielder Elano.

Wolves have now scored in 15 consecutive Premier League matches, as they climb further away from what looked like early relegation worries.

It also gave Gary O’Neil reason to cheer in his 50th Premier League game.

source – BBC

Continue Reading

English Premier League

Sheffield United 1-0 Brentford




Sheffield United 1 -0 Brentford

Sheffield United 1-0 Brentford. A wonderful goal by James McAtee was enough for Sheffield United to beat Brentford and give Blades manager Chris Wilder a first win since his return to the club.

The Manchester City loanee’s first Premier League goal lit up a rainy Bramall Lane in first-half injury time as he cut inside onto his left foot and curled a beautiful shot into the far corner.

Blades sub Anis Ben Slimane missed a great chance to make it 2-0 after 56 minutes but shot straight at Mark Flekken in the Brentford goal.

Brentford, without top scorer Bryan Mbeumo through injury, struggled to create many openings as they fell to a fourth defeat in their last five games.

The win is only Sheffield United’s second in the Premier League this season and came in Wilder’s second match back in charge following the 2-0 defeat against Liverpool in midweek.

It was also the Blades’ first clean sheet of the season but it was not quite enough for them to jump off the foot of the table as they remain bottom on goal difference from Burnley, with both sides on eight points from 16 games.

It was a strong start by the hosts with Auston Trusty seeing an shot deflected wide by Frank Onyeka’s block and Andre Brooks involved in the early exchanges on his second Premier League start.

Trusty was shown the first yellow card of the game after 17 minutes for a lunge on Keane Lewis-Potter, who was one of three changes made by Thomas Frank after the midweek defeat at Brighton.

Ben Mee had a header comfortably dealt with by Blades goalkeeper Wes Foderingham in heavy rain during an opening half-hour in which neither goalkeeper was really tested.

Onyeka was cautioned for a tackle on Vini Souza with the high challenge checked for a potential red card by the video assistant referee but it remained a yellow.

The game suddenly sprung to life in the closing moments of the first half as Sheffield United forward Will Osula hit the side-netting after being played through by Gustavo Hamer before Brentford’s Neal Maupay was denied by Jack Robinson’s block.

McAtee’s goal came after the visitors made a mess of clearing the ball and Hamer found the 21-year-old who stepped inside and hit a shot which gave Flekken no chance.

The hosts had a great chance to double their lead shortly before the hour mark when Cameron Archer won possession from Mee and crossed for the arriving substitute Slimane but he shot straight at Flekken from close range.

The Bees threatened intermittently but failed to build-up any real momentum with Yoane Wissa, who has one goal in his last 14 games, twice seeing efforts saved comfortably by Foderingham.

Slimane missed another chance to make the win more comfortable by shooting into the side netting and there was one final scare for the home fans as Brentford claimed for a late penalty for handball but it was not given, allowing them to celebrate a much-needed win.

source – BBC

Continue Reading