• Latest
  • Trending
Rafah

Israel says it reopened a key Gaza crossing after a rocket attack but the UN says no aid has entered

09/05/2024
Edgar Lungu Burial

Edgar Lungu Burial Saga Deepens as Mortuary Refuses to Take Back His Body

24/04/2026
Edgar Lungu burial

Edgar Lungu Still Not Buried as Legal Battle Takes New Twist

24/04/2026
Queen Nadia

Queen Nadia TV: From Viral Fame to Controversy – The Story Still Trending Across Africa

30/03/2026
Shawki Fawaz

Shawki Fawaz Arrested in K100 Million Tax Scandal – What We Know So Far

30/03/2026
court - Man Demands Sex from Ex Wife

“He Still Wants Sex in Lodges” – Woman Tells Court After Divorce Shocking Details

30/03/2026
China Zambia Medical Cooperation

Crossing mountains and oceans, China and Zambia join hands for health

30/03/2026
Queen Nadia TV

Queen Nadia TV: Viral Clips, Millions of Views — and Why Facebook Refused to Ban Her Page

02/02/2026
Premier League

EPL Matchweek 24: Arsenal Pull Clear as Šeško Stuns Old Trafford in Dramatic Premier League Weekend

02/02/2026
Online Casinos in South Africa - Gambling

Kiwis Deserve Safe Gambling That Gives Back

14/08/2025
Casino

Why More African Players Are Turning to Live Casinos

12/08/2025
Betting

The Voucher Economy: How Prepaid Access Is Powering Zambia’s Betting Boom

14/07/2025
Mwaka Halwindi Sextapes

From “Boss Lady” to Scandal: Mwaka Halwindi sextapes rocks Zambia

08/07/2025
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
ZambiaNews365.com
  • Home
  • Zambia News
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • World
  • Scandals
  • Sports
  • More
    • Food & Drink
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
    • Fitness & Training
No Result
View All Result
ZambiaNews365.com
No Result
View All Result
Home World News

Israel says it reopened a key Gaza crossing after a rocket attack but the UN says no aid has entered

by Dennis Milanzi
09/05/2024
in World News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Rafah
491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Fighting and bombardment continued on the outskirts of the southern Gaza city of Rafah as Israel said the key Kerem Shalom crossing had reopened for aid. The Israeli military said troops had killed Hamas fighters in eastern Rafah as part of a “precise” counterterrorism operation. Hamas also reported battles.

Earlier, the military said lorries had reached Kerem Shalom, which was closed after a rocket attack on Sunday. But the UN says no supplies have passed through the crossing yet.

The US said that while the crossing was open again, aid could not get through “because of logistical and security concerns” on the ground. The UN had expressed alarm on Tuesday over what it called Israel’s “choking-off” of Gaza’s two main aid arteries, after Israeli troops took full control of the Palestinian side of the nearby Rafah crossing with Egypt.

The closing of the Rafah crossing is of particular concern because of the consequences for fuel deliveries – the UN says all of its fuel enters there.

“Without fuel, trucks cannot move critical humanitarian assistance, water pumps will stop functioning and the remaining hospitals will shut down,” Philippe Lazzarini, the head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, Unrwa, wrote on social media on Wednesday.

World Health Organization head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that hospitals in the south of Gaza had only three days of fuel left.

Negotiations on a new ceasefire and hostage release deal have resumed in Cairo, with the US saying it believes a revised Hamas proposal could lead to a breakthrough.The Israeli military played down the significance of the US government’s decision to halt a shipment of powerful bombs over concerns that Israel was about to launch a major offensive on Rafah city.

However, US President Joe Biden later warned that the US would stop supplying some weapons if Israel launched a major ground operation in Rafah.

Seven months into its war with Hamas in Gaza, Israel has insisted victory is impossible without taking Rafah.

But with more than a million displaced Palestinians taking refuge there from the fighting elsewhere, the UN and Western powers have warned that an all-out assault could have devastating humanitarian consequences.Plumes of smoke from Israeli air strikes were seen over Rafah and heavy gunfire was heard on Wednesday, as the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said troops were continuing a limited offensive in eastern areas.

An IDF statement said they had “eliminated terrorists and uncovered terrorist infrastructure, as well as underground shafts in several locations” during several encounters over the past day. They were also carrying out raids on the Gazan side of the Rafah crossing, it added.

The IDF also said aircraft had struck more than 100 “terror targets” throughout Gaza over the past day.

Residents of Rafah reported intense bombardment overnight and video footage on Wednesday morning showed people searching through the rubble of a building destroyed in one of the strikes.

“We are in a safe area according to the army’s map – an area without operations,” neighbour Reda al-Najili told Reuters news agency.We were sitting when suddenly the explosion happened. Our neighbour’s house was gone, and our house was all damaged internally. In the house there are only civilians. Women died. Those who were injured were all children.”

Palestinian medics also said seven members of one family, including five children, were killed in an overnight strike on a home in the Zeitoun neighbourhood of Gaza City, in the north of the territory.

The Israeli military has ordered the evacuation of an estimated 100,000 residents and displaced people in a number of eastern neighbourhoods and told them they will find field hospitals, tents and aid in an “expanded humanitarian area”, which stretches north from al-Mawasi to the city of Khan Younis and central town of Deir al-Balah.

Meanwhile, the director general of the World Health Organization said one of the three hospitals in Rafah, al-Najjar, was “no longer functioning due to the ongoing hostilities in its vicinity and the military operation in Rafah”.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also warned that the partially functioning Kuwaiti and Emirati hospitals would soon run out of fuel unless the UN received a delivery. “Hospitals in the south of Gaza only have three days of fuel left, which means services may soon come to a halt,” he added.

Source: eNCA

In other news – Ben Affleck absence raises eyebrows as Jennifer Lopez attends Met Gala solo

Ben Affleck raised eyebrows after he snubbed this year’s Met Gala while his wife Jennifer Lopez made a solo entry.

Ben Affleck

Fans of the beloved couple were expecting to see their debut at one of the biggest fashion events of Hollywood; however, they were disappointed after Affleck missed the event. Read more

Tags: IsraelRafah
Share196Tweet123
Dennis Milanzi

Dennis Milanzi

Related Posts

Pope Francis

Pope Francis dies aged 88 just hours after meeting JD Vance

by Dennis Milanzi
21/04/2025

Pope Francis has died at the age of 88, the Vatican has announced. His passing marks the end of a...

India

India Signals Readiness to Pursue Stronger, Strategic China Business Ties After Border Dispute Resolution

by Dennis Milanzi
04/12/2024

India has signaled its intent to re-engage with China economically after a prolonged border standoff that strained relations between the...

Yoon Suk Yeol and South Korea

South Korea’s president Yoon Suk Yeol faces calls to resign

by Dennis Milanzi
04/12/2024

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol is under increasing pressure to resign amid mounting public and political discontent. Critics cite...

South Korea

South Korea troops try to storm parliament after martial law declared

by Dennis Milanzi
03/12/2024

South Korea faced a dramatic escalation of political and civil unrest as troops attempted to storm the National Assembly following...

  • Trending
  • Latest
Najmul Hossain

Najmul Hossain ton guides Bangladesh to 235-2 against Afghanistan

14/06/2023
Pearl Modiadie jet set with her new boyfriend to the islands

Pearl Modiadie jet set with her new boyfriend to the islands

14/06/2023
Virgil van Dijk

Netherlands’ defender Virgil van Dijk wants his country to lift the Nations League trophy this year

14/06/2023
Thobile and Musa Mseleku

VIDEO: Thobile Khumalo heavily spoils her hubby, Musa Mseleku on his birthday

14/06/2023
Forza Motorsport

Forza Motorsport’s career mode could be groundbreaking

14/06/2023
Edgar Lungu Burial

Edgar Lungu Burial Saga Deepens as Mortuary Refuses to Take Back His Body

24/04/2026
Edgar Lungu burial

Edgar Lungu Still Not Buried as Legal Battle Takes New Twist

24/04/2026
Queen Nadia

Queen Nadia TV: From Viral Fame to Controversy – The Story Still Trending Across Africa

30/03/2026
Shawki Fawaz

Shawki Fawaz Arrested in K100 Million Tax Scandal – What We Know So Far

30/03/2026
court - Man Demands Sex from Ex Wife

“He Still Wants Sex in Lodges” – Woman Tells Court After Divorce Shocking Details

30/03/2026
ZambiaNews365.com

Email: editor@news365.co.za

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • Zambia News
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • World
  • Scandals
  • Sports
  • More

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Zambia News
  • Entertainment
  • Football
  • World
  • Scandals
  • Sports
  • More
    • Food & Drink
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
    • Fitness & Training

Email: editor@news365.co.za