A GRADE 9 student from Ndola who attempted suicide by ingesting the manco chemical, a byproduct of maize, has pulled through after being taken to the hospital by his cousin.
Shortly after his cousin told him to stop acting badly, the victim made an attempt on his life.
The 21-year-old student decided to shut himself in a room and ingest the chemical since the advise he had been given had infuriated him.
In the Minsundu neighborhood of Ndola, the incident took place on Tuesday around 17:00.
“On February 21, 2023 the victim’s cousin talked to him on how to conduct himself and advised him to have good morals. However, the victim got upset, later the cousin was told by other relatives who were at home that the victim was saying that he will kill himself and it was discovered that he had taken some maize chemical known as manco after locking himself in his bedroom,” he said.
Mr Mweemba said relatives managed to break the door and he found the victim unconscious on the floor.
“He was rushed to the hospital for treatment and his condition has continued improving,” he said.