Manchester United have clarified that there has not yet been a decision made regarding the return of Mason Greenwood, after a report suggested staff had been told he would be reintegrated. Greenwood has not played a game for United since January 2022. He had played 24 games in all competitions in the 2020/21 season, before he was suspended, pending the outcome of a criminal investigation regarding attempted rape, assault and coercive control.
Those charges were dropped early in 2023, when a withdrawal of witness statements and new material came to light that meant there was not a realistic prospect of conviction. United have been yet to make a decision on whether or not Greenwood would return to action for them since then.
The Athletic have reported that Chief Executive Richard Arnold had ‘told senior staff two weeks ago the club were planning to bring back Greenwood’.
Arnold apparently ‘intended to record a video explaining the decision that would be shared with staff and the general public’. That was reportedly supposed to be announced on August 4, and has still not happened. Manchester United have since released a statement regarding the decision over whether they will bring Greenwood back, which clarifies the decision has not yet been made.
“Following the dropping of all charges against Mason Greenwood in February 2023, Manchester United has conducted a thorough investigation into the allegations made against him. This has drawn on extensive evidence and context not in the public domain, and we have heard from numerous people with direct involvement or knowledge of the case.
“Throughout this process, the welfare and perspective of the alleged victim has been central to the club’s inquiries, and we respect her right to lifelong anonymity. We also have responsibilities to Mason as an employee, as a young person who has been with the club since the age of seven, and as a new father with a partner.
The fact-finding phase of our investigation is now complete, and we are in the final stages of making a decision on Mason’s future. Contrary to media speculation, that decision has not yet been made and is currently the subject of intensive internal deliberation. Responsibility ultimately rests with the Chief Executive Officer. Once made, the decision will be communicated and explained to the club’s internal and external stakeholders.
In other news – Former The Queen actor Uncle Brutus Themba Ndaba is now married again
South African actor Themba Ndaba is now married after he shared pictures of his wife after lobola payments. It’s been an excellent weekend for Themba Ndaba and the family as they officially welcome a new member.
Most of Themba’s roles in drama soapies like The Queen are controversial regarding relationships. He is generally a womaniser in shows, and fans enjoy that he doesn’t want to stay alone. Read more